Are you an Office 365 user or an IT admin? Have you been looking to migrate Shared mailbox to user mailbox in Office 365?
Well! My friend. We are taking the plunge for you. In this write-up, we will talk over the easiest way possible to move Shared mailbox to user mailbox in Microsoft 365. Keep scrolling and get a fruitful solution for your query.
But, first let’s have a quick glance about the Shared mailbox, Shared mailbox creation, conversion, and migration in Office 365.
Topics Covered in This Blog
- What is Office 365 Shared Mailbox?
- How to Create Office 365 Shared Mailbox?
- How can we Convert Office 365 Shared Mailbox to User Mailbox?
- How to Migrate Shared Mailbox in Office365 to user Mailbox?
What is a Shared mailbox in Office 365?
A Shared mailbox is a mailbox, that has multiple user access to read and send email messages, from the same email address.
It can also be used for sending emails, or sending emails on behalf of the address. It increases work productivity and efficiency, especially when managing general mailboxes like sales, customer support, etc.
Every member of this Shared mailbox receives a copy of the email that comes to this address. Moreover, they have common calendars and contact lists as it’s an entire mailbox.
How to Create Office 365 Shared Mailbox?
You can create a Shared Mailbox in Office 365 by following these steps:
However, if you have already created a Shared mailbox, then you can directly jump into that section where we have discussed the steps to migrate shared mailbox to user mailbox in Office 365:
- Login with Office 365 admin account in Office 365 exchange admin centre then go to group >> Shared Mailbox.
- In the Shared mailbox page, click on select >> then add a mailbox. Here enter the desired Shared mailbox name & add email.
- Click on the Add button.
Now, you have successfully created a Shared mailbox in Office 365.
How can We Convert Office 365 Shared Mailbox to User Mailbox?
- Login to Office 365 with an administrator account, then go to Microsoft 365 Admin centre and then, select Exchange.
- Now, go to Recipients >> Shared >> Shared mailbox and then click on convert.
- Microsoft will ask for confirmation, click on the yes button. Remember –You will have to reset the password & assign a license and for the mailbox after conversion.
- This process will take few minutes, once conversion completes, then click on the close button.
As a result, the Shared mailbox is now converted into a user mailbox.
How to Migrate Data from Shared Mailbox to User Mailbox in Office 365?
Here, comes the key part of this blog. As we all know Microsoft does not offer any in-built tool to move Shared mailbox to user mailbox.
Therefore, we would use a third party professional utility to perform the transition.
In this scenario, we would like to suggest Office 365 to Office 365 migrator tool. That is a tried and tested, high performing, and adept tool for multiple migrations in Office 365.
One can easily perform the migration, via this software in a streamlined way with maximum data protection. Also, you will receive the same data at the destination without losing its integrity.
There are many advanced features integrated, that make this utility one-stop solution for multiple data migration in Office 365.
Steps to Migrate Office 365 Shared Mailbox to User Mailbox
Download and install the utility. It requires only a few clicks and migrates the entire data. Now open it, you can see options for selecting source and destination. You can select Office 365 as source and destination.
- Select the desired items that you want to migrate, from the screen. You can also apply the date-based filter to migrate data selectively. Then Click on Next.
- Login with source admin Email ID & Application ID & validate it.
- Following the last step login with destination Admin Email ID & Application ID & validate it.
- After validating all the permissions, click on Next.
- Here, you can see three options; Fetch Users, Import Users, Download CSV file to create a mapping between Office 365 Shared mailbox and user mailbox. Select it accordingly.
- Once, mapping is created click on the Validate button.
- Now, you need to validate it by clicking the validate button.
- Lastly, Click on the Start Migration button to Migrate Shared mailbox to user mailbox.
- Using this tool you can easily migrate Shared mailbox data to user mailbox in Office 365. You can avail demo versions in this software.
The demo version of this tool can transfer/move only two user accounts fully with items (Mails, Contacts, Calendars, & Documents). You can check the functionality of this utility by migrating data in the demo version.
To wrap it all up
Migrating Office 365 Shared mailbox to user mailbox is not an easy task. It can be a nightmare, if we use the conventional manual approach in Office 365. Many users are not well aware of right approach, to perform data migration in Office 365.
So, in this blog, we have discussed the smart solution to perform migration smoothly. With maximum data protection & integrity, using a reliable and adept approach.